WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Three Days of Work and Things are Getting Easier

Now that I am settling into a routine I am finding I have more energy and ability to even climb the nasty hill.  The campus is on the waterfront facing the Pacific Ocean, and the entire  road system and buildings are on the steepest hill you have ever seen.  There is a parking lot at the bottom right next to the shoreline, and then one on top near the entrance. I park in the top one.  Then down the hill I march, much like climbing down a wall, and then homeward, back up the hill, which is a killer.  But I recall all the years I belonged to a gym and used the stairclimber and paid to use it.  Here it is free - the only membership cost is stamina.  The first day I did it I thought, wow, I managed!  The second day anticipation had me trying to figure out how to avoid it.  I was considering contacting the campus maintenance people to give me a lift.  There are actually golf carts that take disabled people up and down the hill on a regular basis.  But, I won't buy into that.  I will not let myself think I am disabled.  Today, I climbed the hill and actually had a conversation with someone on the way up.  I  must be in better shape than I thought.  I was considering joining the gym at school, but why?  The drive home is confusing.  Friday and Tuesday were insane bottlenecks on the highway which had me sitting and crawling for about 25 minutes before I could actually drive. So today I anticipated the same, but somehow, today, like Monday, it was clear sailing. There is no logical explanation for the changes in traffic patterns so I don't know why it was easier today than yesterday. But I won't complain.
My students are doing great. They are surprised themselves over this.  When I teach, I don't tend to tell them anything. I make them find the answers.  Today was quite funny.  I wrote 8 sentences and then cut each into separate words. They had to work together and piece these words into 8 sentences again. And if you know anything about ESL learners, the, a, at, on, in, to show up in the craziest places in their written and spoken language.  I don't blame them. English is a  language that adds so many more words to a sentence than any other language. As a result they all learn about 'the' and 'to' and use it everywhere.  They even told me that there were not enough 'to's in the words I gave them.  But eventually they figured it all out and were beaming with their accomplishment.  Yay students!

No comments:

Post a Comment