WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Friday, May 11, 2012

Censorship seems to be alive and well

I have friends who ask me how I manage in a country that has such serious issues regarding what I wear, what I say, materials I use in the classes I teach.  The constant comment is that 'as Canadians, we are free of that burden of censorship'.

Well, as I found an internet connection this morning, I read an alumni newsletter which led me to a CBC story about Yertle the Turtle.  Not having all the background on this issue, I was still able to decipher the reason for the subject. While I was in Canada I tried desperately to get teachers to talk with me about having a pen pal program with me across the globe. None would speak to me. Why? Because they were on a sort of strike. I don't know the reason, and I don't want to know the reasons. I am here, they are there.  But this 'work to rule' issue did not give me an opportunity to give many children from two different cultures to learn about tolerance, economics, culture and so much more.  In my opinion, if these teachers were still working, I believe they were not doing their job when I tried to speak to them. For that reason, I do not support their reasons for this 'strike' - whatever their reasons are.  When a non union person has a job, they have a couple of choices. They do their job or they get fired.  Something has gone amok with unionized jobs since the concept of unions came into being.  The whole reason unions were created was to be sure that an employee was not exploited and that their safety on the job was assured.  Again, I say, I do not know their reason for the strike. But a mamby pamby strike that is 'sort of a strike' does not look like they were in serious physical danger, and I doubt very much they were exploited. I guess I could be wrong.  And the result, from my experience, is that children lost the opportunity to know about another part of the world.

If you are still reading, I have not left the government unscathed by my comments.  When fingering a cute green turtle as the culprit in this whole mess I wonder just what kind of society they have become.  Good grief, even where I live there is no ban on Dr Seuss books. The most effective punch, in my opinion comes from a comment in the CBC article that asks the question - if you ban this line in the Dr. Seuss book which refers to placement in a corporate structure as a slogan, must you also ban slogans that chastise bullying and all other rights of the individual? After all, this slogan eludes to bullying.


I am of the age that recalls the controversial Charter of Rights and Freedom in Canada in 1982.  It amended our Canadian Bill of Rights from 1950.  So what is the kefuffle all about in Canada, specifically BC right now?  A line in the story book Yertle the Turtle reads "I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here on the bottom, we too should have rights".
For some reason, the higher ups seem to think this is inappropriate to wear as a slogan in the classroom. Does that also mean that believing that slogan is wrong? Does it mean that those at the bottom do not have rights? If so, we as Canadians have not evolved.  


I could not personally debate this issue. I have kudos and criticism for both.  For those interested, here is the controversial story about Yertle the Turtle.  Prince Rupert is located in Northern BC, Canada.


http://www.cbc.ca/daybreaknorth/interviews/2012/04/26/is-yertle-the-turtle-really-banned-in-prince-rupert-classrooms/



Is Yertle the Turtle really banned in Prince Rupert classrooms?




"I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here on the bottom, we too should have rights"

- Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle

While I find the banning of this book absurd, let it be known that I also do not completely side with the teachers in this issue. 


Is Curious George next to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment