WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gordon et al

I finally found some information, but not sure I wanted to find this.


Reproductive cycle

Female Asian House Geckos lay two eggs approximately every four to six weeks. The large, white eggs are sometimes clearly visible through the body wall of a gravid female's underbelly. In the tropics, the geckos breed year-round, however in sub-tropical and more temperate areas their reproduction appears to take on a seasonal cycle and they do not breed during the winter.
While there are anecdotal reports that the Asian House Geckos may be parthenogenetic (not requiring males to breed), there is no scientific evidence to support this. However, experiments have shown that females have the capacity to store sperm for up to six weeks.

I live in the tropical area, so there is no end to breeding cycle.  Lucky me. Maybe I should just install air conditioners everywhere and let them think they are in a sub-tropical climate. I have been known to turn on my air conditioner in the bedroom, even though I don't like it; just to encourage the little critters to stay away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment