WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, June 20, 2011

Note to Self

Never, ever leave a banana with a note book in a bag in the trunk of the car if you live on or near the equator.  Nasty fumes develop - much like the chemical reaction of decaying matter that floats through the storm channels here. Who would have thought that a tastey little treat like a banana had such a negative side? I also did not realize that a little note book could grow into such a powerful source of stink just because it had a date with a banana. And the notebook unfortunately has to be kept as I used it while my computer was ill. So, I guess I now know why everyone was avoiding me today, at least until I figured out that I was the cause of the stench!
However, after that ephiany, I came back into town on a quest for a place that did photocopying from large size paper to small size paper and in colour.  I could get one of these options out in the countryside but not two together. I could not find a copy center in all of Kota Tinggi  - I tried computer stores, paper stores, and finally was led to the camera shop where I bought my tripod and camera. Silly me - to not think of a camera shop. So, ready to head that way I was stopped in my tracks by a couple of men on their knees trying to repair some kind of a water line. They were armed with some wrenches, but what caught my eye was the spool of white tape on a white spool.  I have been asking everyone for 'plumber's tape' to no avail.  However, there was the product right before my eyes. I asked them what the stuff was called while I pointed right at it. They looked at me and muttered something in Malay.  (probably shove off) So I asked again, using even more words which is very clever since they could not understand what I said the first time. I was greeted with 'take it, take it, buli buli'  ( I think the buli buli means ok, ok.) So I did.  I knew it was useless to try to talk and I now have a partial spool of plumber tape that I desperately need to fix 2 of my toilets.  And the empty spool can go to the hardware store with me to buy more. YAY (One of my toilets was running all weekend while I was in JB, and my landlord will not respond to my request to have them repaired)
On my way home I found a Cheng Che, which is a Chinese Medicine Store. Someone told me to sprinkle sulphur around my home and I will not be troubled with bugs (such as cockroaches and scorpions) and snakes too. So I wanted to try this. Said I needed to go to one of these stores. I stopped in at another acquaintance and asked where a Cheng Che is in Kota Tinggi. So, stopped there, and picked up a sack of sulphur.  Then decided to ask about cures for dengue fever pain. Now I have this bottle of pills that I am to take 4 at a time, 3 times a day for 4 days. Apparently, the cure is sure and I will be rid of the pain after that time. So, if you don't hear from me by Friday night, send out a search party. I have either been consumed by a python, bitten by a cobra, or done in my the sulphur or magic pills.
Now it is time to fire up the barbecue with my new chimney fashioned from a tomato juice tin (to speed up the coal burning process) and grill some satay and roasted red peppers. Not too shabby huh?
But I have to admit - KFC beckoned me inside for some coleslaw today. Even with all the good stuff I prepared ysterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment