WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Sunday, August 28, 2011

tried to upload a video.

cannot seem to upload here - probably internet connection problem

I will see if I can do this at the wifi cafe. It gives you an idea of what kind of impact the books from Canada have on the kids here.  For now, for those of you are interested in my library project, here is the blurb Adrian, my boss requested from me to promote it throughout Malaysia. It has already generated interest from my colleagues. A couple of mentors from JB have travelled to KL this holiday week to buy books for kids. Yay
Why These Kids Need Books
While the students get a maximum of five hours of English instruction in school on a weekly basis; it is our job to encourage them to take that learning beyond the classroom. Taking a book home is one way to get English beyond the classroom. When they go home they do not take English home with them. Many families have limited or no English. If we want to see our work here producing that which was anticipated, then we need to develop strong reading habits in the young learners. I have found a way to get books in their hands, but I need your help to make this grow.
Introducing books at your schools, that are fun to listen to, will encourage the children to read English books. I have enlisted my Canadian friends to shop at second hand stores there and send me books. I have given them a list of the books appropriate to our learners, and I regularly get packages in the mail filled with Dr Seuss, Berenstain Bears, and H A Rey classics. These books are a hit, and when the students at my schools see me arrive, they squeal with delight and prepare for another new book experience. The first two books I have read to them are HAND HAND FINGERS THUMB and THE B BOOK.  Now I regularly hear the students chanting the lines from the Hand Hand Finger Thumb book, and I frequently see them miming bubble blowing when they see me. (I take a bottle of bubbles to the classroom when I read The B Book. 
Scanners are marvellous tools, but they do not replace books. Please don’t scan books and think you have given the gift of reading. It is not fair to the publishers and it is not fair to the students. Children need that tangible object to get into the habit of reading. Flashcards and laminated pages are tools for learning. So are books.
The whole concept of a travelling library cannot rely on only me.  Yes, it is a cost to me – I do not expect my friends to pay the postage to Malaysia. But a small price to pay to bring a gift of learning. My goal was to have a travelling library that circulates through the five schools I work with. I have attained that goal, and the books are ready for travelling to the schools for a one week layover at each. I have also bought a few games so that a room can be dedicated to English reading and games – where the students can gather during their break and get into the habit of reading for enjoyment.  Now, I know that this could expand to much more. If other mentors want to witness the delight when the students see you arrive with a book, they need to find a way to get more books here. If we each have a case of books travelling through our cluster, we can exchange with each other to bring in a whole new library. If several or all mentors took part in this project we would have an extensive library for the children in Malaysia with very little monetary injection individually.
I have collected about 30 books and have been advised that I have another $130 parcel on its way.  That price tag would probably indicate 20 – 30 more books. Far less than that number of books would cost here. My focus is primary readers – but once they are active readers we will need to focus on a higher level to accommodate their needs as they grow. But for now, I am happy with this.




No comments:

Post a Comment