WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, March 19, 2012

Better Look Intelligent Now

I have just been advised that RRU has picked up my blog for alumni and their social media channels.  What started out as a report to friends back home has turned into a journal or reflection of my daily encounters and adventures.  No more typing errors, spelling mistakes, or rambling and badly constructed paragraphs - Gilbert or Michael might be reading. Being a past student and ongoing employee of RRU, I hope that what I learn while living here comes back to Canada through documentaries and essays that would have given me good grades had they been marked.

I have had a few house guests from the western world and would enjoy more.  Coming home to people who need no explanation of the words I choose makes me realize that I need that contact now and then.  Anyone who knew me at the school is most welcome to visit.  Just be prepared for a very different way of life and extremely hot conditions.  If you can face that with a smile, you will also enjoy this fascinating place.  When dashing to the Pasar Malam for a coconut shake being the highlight of one's week becomes something to look forward to, then you know that you have passed the test of living in Kota Tinggi as a foreigner. I am now like the locals.  When I see a westerner I tend to chat them up.  It is so exciting to see someone from my own culture. Being surrounded by wonderful new friends that bring dinner, local medicines, and build window screens for you to keep dengue fever at bay are just a few of the wonderful experiences I have had. Being the ONLY white woman in this city makes me very visible to all.  They all know me; I am beginning to know many of them.  The KFC manager, the 7-11 guy, BHP petrol jockey, and many others greet me on the street - I am beginning to sort out who they are and those I can't I now ask. I have even been stopped by a woman, in a driving monsoon as I picked my way back to my car after going to the bank.  Holding up traffic, she would not let me go before she got my phone number.  Seems she wants me to attend her wedding. I sure hope I figure out who she is before that date.  I have attended a few weddings already.  It is no surprise to arrive home to my community and find marquees set up where we need to drive our cars to our car parks.  They can remain there for a week or so.  When a neighbour gets married, the community comes to the event.  I am now part of that community.

While I have your attention, I might as well make my pitch.  I have started a travelling library for the schools I work with.  I have managed to amass enough Dr. Seuss books to have a library cart at three schools now. It began with 8 books and has turned into 200 through my shopping while back in Canada and the generous donations of Canadians.  Second hand books come to me through the mail and get added to the inventory to make this dream I had a reality.  My goal is to have a cart at all five schools and then move them weekly so that the children have new books on a regular basis. Some of my colleagues have begun to see the value in this library and have expressed interest in how to begin their own.  It is a personal cost, but the reward is profound.  If we each have a library for each of our five schools, then we can trade with each other and bring more books to the students through this format. The only thing they have had access to for English books until this began was Aesop's Fables, which are too dense and complicated for this young audience learning a new language. You cannot imagine the glee when Madam Frencees arrives with the cart. Here is a photo of the first cart arriving at a school to show you how they reacted. If this project interests you, please leave a message on the blog and I will respond with how to get them here.

 choosing a book

There are no Seuss books here, so the experience is like magic to these kids.  They giggle and enjoy the books as much as any kids in North America

No comments:

Post a Comment