WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Where My Brain is Hanging Around

I have to put together a presentation for the new year three program which will join our methodology in January. Besides talking to an assembly that is half way through a four day conference, I need to have fun things to engage them.  They need to learn how to deliver classes that are student centred and produce project based learning.  In my mind I cannot think of anything more fun. What could be more fun than going to school and playing games or making crafts? Kind of like camp every day huh? In the minds of my audience, they cannot think of what to do.  But some that I have worked with already have begun to learn.  Now I have another challenge.  A new batch.

I came up with a project for the students to become great sentence writers.  It can even be modified to the early year students by having them begin basic sentence structure in first year, and then develop more interesting sentences in year two.  Then, in year three, they can wow themselves with very creative sentences and be ready for the big years of real testing on composition - where they constantly fail and eventually give up.  That group is out of my hands, but if I can make this task fun, I think I can help the little guys become accomplished writers when it is time for the big tests.

I have read to all the little people from my library carts and one character they love is Curious George. I bought a baseball cap and glued a monkey on the front.  (I found some monkey glittery sticker that was intended for the front of a cell phone).  Problem with that was I ended up gluing my finger to my thumb because I did not realize I had purchased super glue that bonds INSTANTLY. I think I figured out how to remove finger prints from one's fingers.  Maybe I am on to something for all those thieves that try to file them off without success. I ripped my fingers apart and have a nasty fingertip right now. Anyway, with that resolved, I then put together another kit - Mickey Mouse. I bought a stuffed toy, a lined book with him on the cover, pencils ablaze with M.M. and did the same with Pooh Bear because I have read both those character stories to them as well.  Another favourite is Spongebob Squarepants. I bought a no name lined book and began my artwork. Finding a Spongebob online I printed and laminated him for the cover.  No pencils and no stuffed toy.  But there are sponges here. I bought various coloured sponges,  spongy scouring pads,  and a pail and began my project.  I had to offer and model something for the teachers to do on their own and it had to be inexpensive. They will find ways to not do something if it involves too much outlay of cash.  They are far more artistic than I.  I might just be setting myself up for a good laugh at my expense. Here is the result.  Am I daft?
As you can see - Spongebob Squarepants in a pail.  The students will each take a turn taking him home in the pail with the pencil and notebook. They will write their letter to him and then return all to the class the next day. Another student will do the same, until all have entered their letters into the book.  Kind of modelled from those delightful published books  of Letters to God that I am sure you have all seen.  Once completed, the students can read each others's letters and practice reading, and perhaps learn even more creative sentences from their peers.  A project based learning assignment fulfilled. The notebook is not in the picture because my laminator was taking a break and would not heat up. 

Oops, there have been comments. Bob's tie does not exactly look like a tie to some. So, a snip of the tie has given him a new look.  Hope everyone likes his new ensemble.


No comments:

Post a Comment