WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Technology over this way

I love my Mac, but sometimes I get a bit annoyed when who I work for creates websites and pages for uploading files that fight with my computer.  I end up spending far more time than I should just trying to do the task and never get it done. I finally took the time to call Apple.My.   Big mistake, they know what goes on here, so they defended the problem with it becoming my problem. Said that I need to change my firewall settings if I want to upload to that site. My firewall settings apparently are too good, and will not allow upload/download with certain sites in order to protect my computer.  I thanked them kindly and disconnected. I then called Apple.ca.  Same message, but with more support as to why I should not try to use this site. The reason a mac does not get the viruses that pc's face daily is because of the technology they use. They told me that yes, I could change my firewall settings, but once I do, I am open to all sorts of problems. Not a good idea.  They asked me further regarding what I was trying to do, and for the url. I gave this information to them. They chuckled and said that sort of program is like an endangered species.  They asked me if I made it myself.  No, I did not make it. Well, the reply was for me to suggest that they take up a fund and hire a professional to build what is needed in that area and make it usable by everyone and something that works.

Mirroring this message, I received a message from an old colleague who is pretty savvy in this area. I had told him the same thing, and his reply was with a lot of chuckles. Said that what was used was 1990's standard Internet protocol.  I have no idea what that means, but in a nutshell; that is why my perfectly functioning mac does not want to talk to it.

I guess the resolution to this issue is as the tech support people told me. Take up a collection, and hire a professional to do the work. It will save a lot of headaches and give you some tools to use that actually work.  We are not going to see that any time soon. Even the government offices use the same kind of programs. In fact, it is more likely you will find a FaceBook page for a government official here before you find a contact page with an official e-mail address.

How do I resolve this?  Well, the HP wonder machine is back from the repair shop yet again. It appears to be working, for now. So why not give it a test drive and let it do the work.  Does it really matter if it gets filled with viruses and whatnot? I don't think so. The viruses might just give it the oomph to keep working. You know, like building a strong immune system.

No comments:

Post a Comment