WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Thursday, August 23, 2012

I Know How To Make Ginger Beef

When you can only find pieces of unrecognizable shards of meat in the shops, you figure out many things here.  I cannot bring myself to buy the 'local stuff. It is offered from a wooden block, covered with flies, and hacked off according to what you want.  I do not know a cow that is the shape of this thing offered, so when it is labelled beef, I am perplexed.  But Jusco has some import Auzzie stuff. I would never buy that kind in Canada. I have tasted it there, and it could be a product to resole one's shoes once they wear out.  But, when that is the most familiar object in a meat counter, that is wrapped in cellophane,  I buy it and see what I can do with it.  Today, I picked up three little shards of this Auzzie stuff when I dashed to the big city between monsoons, and brought it home to my ginger, lemongrass, garlic and fresh limes. I slivered it all into long strips, just like the stuff you get at a good restaurant, and marinated it in the fridge for a few hours with my 'recipe'.

Once it was thoroughly flavoured, I tossed the little bits in a bag of arrowroot flour, and heated coconut oil in my pan. What I produced was an exquisite feast of the best ginger beef I have eaten. It is amazing what one can create with a bit of imagination.  Now it is time to hack up the watermelon.


Bon Apetit Frannie.

No comments:

Post a Comment