WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hari Deepavali

Yesterday was Deepavali and all Indians prepared for the day by preparing huge feasts to share with family and friends, dressing in new clothing, and opening their home to everyone. I was fortunate enough to make new friends here who invited me to their celebration. I knew I could not attend. They would be offended if I did not eat, and when I eat, I throw up from the medications I am taking the asthma that has a strong hold on my lungs.  I also knew I had to go there to explain so they would not think I just did not want to come.

Where in Canada could you arrive 2 hours before the invited time to drop off a gift and be greeted as warmly as I was greeted?  I cannot think of anywhere.  I tried to pick up flowers for my friends, because I knew I must take a gift of some sort. The flower shop was closed, the vendor was inside, so I called the number on the window. He answered and said he is now closed. I explained my plight, he said, I am now closed. And that was that.  I asked a young girl on the street what I could take as a gift for people celebrating Deepavali. She said flowers. I explained that I could not get any because the shop was closed. She said clothing.  What the hell? Clothing?  I can't take them clothing, so thanked her and went on my quest.  I remembered a nice cake/lunch shop down the street. It is actually fairly nice - quite western, so off I trotted.  I managed to score a very nice HUGE cake that would serve 50.  He decorated it with Happy Deepavali 2012 and boxed it up for me.

Now off to the friends.  I actually found the house with a google search and arrived to find everyone home and the yard beautifully decorated for the party.  The mother had made a coloured coconut emblem at the entrance to the property, and tiny lights twinkled in the nearing sunset. Food containers awaited the feast soon to arrive.  And the cutest little poodle I have ever seen here. In fact, the only poodle I have seen here. His name is Dino - named for the Fintstone dog.  They would not let me leave, but soon understood my health issue and why I could not stay.  We visited in the living room and watched a monsoon arrive.  Quickly, everything was snatched from the rain and brought under roof covers until it quit.  Over 70 people were invited for the gathering, so you can imagine how much scrambling was going on to keep things dry.  I began gagging in my most attractive manner and knew it was time to leave.  We have made plans for me getting henna feet and hands before I leave for home so that my family can see what sort of preparation goes on for Deepavali over here.  I guess there will be minimal hand washing once that is done in order to preserve the art. Or maybe just faded hands and pretty fresh feet to show off. Good thing I got pretty toes yesterday as well.

Here is what I got to experience, although briefly, and not with the crowd.  And clearly, lovely new friends who have taken a foreigner into their home with such kindness.  I sure wish I could have eaten with them, but I will not fade away and know there will be other opportunities in the future.




The next series of pictures are of the coconut art that was at the gate and inside the house.  Truly beautiful work, and the dog did not even try to mess it up.
at the gate

just inside the house at the entrance


one wall in the living room

closeup of previous picture


No comments:

Post a Comment