WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Sunday, December 18, 2011

9 days and I am gonzo

Where did the time go?  Every day is a blur of activity, yet I feel like I have not accomplished anything.  Maybe that is what motherhood is all about.  If I honestly look back at the years of mothering my children when they were little, I could probably say the same thing. What on earth did I accomplish today?


Having said that, I think I know the answer.  Levi and Nana have build a strong bond. We bake cookies, we read books, and we play writing on the back with soap games in the tub.  I think I vote for the baking cookies activity as number one.  I love how he takes the electric mixer like Luke Sky Walker wielding his light sabre against all dangers and conflicts.  That mixer filled with flour and butter flies around the walls of the batter bowl sending cookie dough missiles into cupboards and unsuspecting dog faces, while its captain focuses on the job at hand with his tongue hanging out of his mouth down to his chin. Being a Nana allows one to take the same attitude because it is not my kitchen, so no worries about consequences of these actions.   My bond with Kolly is from a different perspective. She has a couple of strong desires and needs. Comfort and a full belly seem to be on the upper end of that list.  So, feeding the bottomless pit and playing any activity that makes her laugh are the only two things needed for her. Pretty easy job - and with great rewards.  That giggle, wrinkled nose when she smiles, and little tongue hanging out of her mouth as she shapes the word Nana on her lips - at least a good portion of her face - are enough to melt an ice floe in the Arctic.

With the occasional typed text message to Uncle Ryan on Skype, Levi and Nana keep in touch with him while he works; keeping him abreast of our Christmas preparation activities.  Off to White Rock for a couple of days before returning to the household for final Christmas menu tweaks.  Of course I am looking forward to the making of shortbread and most definitely watching them be sprinkled with various wee candies and bits by the pastry chef who doubles as the big brother.  Will take a few pics of that event and post them here once we complete that task.

I think I am nearing saturation of gastronomic indulgence. Finally!  We meandered downtown Vancouver yesterday to a restaurant that Jenn advised was noted for its reuben sandwich. It was good, but I think I have had better. So that leads me to think I have either been overloaded with food or I have not found the ultimate reuben.  Doesn't matter. I have noshed my way through Canadian fare, and perhaps it is time to recondition myself to what will be a normal diet, or at least consumption volume that will be the norm in about one week.  Well, I still have to consume turkey and probably one more barbecued steak. Yes, a barbecued steak would be just fine!



No comments:

Post a Comment