WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Freezies in Singapore!

On my rapid trip for shopping and indulgence I spied a Muslim family perched on a concrete structure as I was heading to the shops. They sat there with these tubes of colourful 'stuff', squeezing the tube and holding one end in their mouths.  Egad, is that a freezie?

These, along with popsicles are unheard of over this way. I think I have figured out why.  In heat that is constantly at 33 or more celclius and humidity that could cause one to drown just breathing, a freezie or a popsicle does not stand a chance.  However, this family was happily stuffing these colourful plastic bag tubes into their mouths and I was jealous. I approached them and said 'is that frozen'?  Yes, yes, lag, and into her bag of treasures she dove and gave me one. I declined, but they insisted. I offered to pay, no, no, a gift.  Yay!

The freezies were a bright Barbie Doll pink. I guessed they were either a nasty sweet sugary taste or rose water. I wanted to cool off before I began traipsing around the streets. Lucky for me, they were rose water.  And cooling for the body.  I did stumble around trying to open it though. Finally, after attempting to untwist the heavy duty elastic band holding the delightful frozen treat inside the bag, I asked my new friends how to do this. Good thing I did. It seems you leave this twisted elastic intact and bite off the other end and then bite and squeeze the contents into your mouth.  Could have had quite a mess with my first method I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment