WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Singapore is Good for the Soul

Took a cab across the causeway. I was going to splurge and take a cab directly to my hotel, but then some man said he would share with me, as he was also going in the same direction. Then it turned out we just joined others and ended up only paying RM15.  Then, after checking into the hotel, we visited over lunch at a Turkish cafe that made a great beef, cucumber, tomato and flat bread treat. New friend works for Petronas in KL and also takes quick trips to S'pore to get a western fix. I then went on my way to get my popcorn popper and popcorn for the machine. Two items I bought did make me laugh, Organic Brown Basmati rice - all the way from California, and calcium pills from Canada.  Did a power shop on Orchard and then returned to the hotel and thought a luxurious bath would be just perfect.  Turned on the hot water - and was sadly disappointed. Warm would be the word to describe the water temperature. Oh well, off to find a few trinkets on Arab Street. Didn't really do much in the way of buying but enjoyed every vendor there.  I will definitely come back here to wander the streets again.  Even though the hotel has been a bit of a disaster, I will likely stay here again.  They are located right at the head of Arab Street, so there is no better place to stay than right here. Besides, it is clearly a very cultural hotel regarding patrons. Chinese, Indian, and Malay are the norm. I am the odd one out. And right across the street there is a charming little restaurant that serves 'the best tenderloin steaks in the region' as well as lamb shanks and rack of lamb. The rack of lamb is definitely worth returning to in the future. I have not had rack of lamb since I have been over this way. So what could go wrong in a hotel besides no hot water? Well, the mini safe in the room would not shut. Seems, after a few service people coming to my room, it had to be replaced. The card to open my room would never work in the elevator, so I was at the desk more than the desk clerk, resetting the card. I cannot understand why people in this part of the world refuse to just replace a card that does not work. They just don't seem to want to admit that a card is defective. So, I have still got the nasty card, but checking out tomorrow morning, so who cares.  Ah, yes, the TV. Lots of non English channels, the local Singapore English channel that I watch at home was mucked up here, so cannot watch it. HBO is drivel in the way of entertainment - Julia Roberts this and Julia Roberts that.  And still no hot water.  So, a warm shower and tuck myself into bed early for the trip back to forks and spoons.  Yes, I will stay here again. It is quiet, clean, close to what I want to do.  The whiney things I mentioned are still 93 3/4 % more than I have in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment