WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Friday, October 26, 2012

Singlish? I am still laughing......

I am going to pick up the book of Singlish when I go to S'pore. It will help you to understand what I encounter every day.  I had a book in the past - called 'as cold as a baystreet banker's heart'.  That book could amuse one for hours. It was a book of phrases common to prairie folk in Canada. The words were unheard of in other parts of the country.

Well, Singlish is kind of like that. With an Asian slant to pronunciation of English. Hence - Singlish (as in Singapore)

I have pasted a youtube to get your familiar with what I encounter when asking directions, ordering food, and many other daily tasks.  You have to watch this. Two little gaffers poking fun at the language which has been very seriously attacked by the government.  The government frowns upon Singlish, and watching this, you will understand why.

Singlish in my life

I love the dramatic music between the sets. I used the same between sets in a documentary I produced with a couple of friends.  If you hear and see lah  in the messages it is the same as westerners constantly saying  you know what I mean. Be sure to watch through to the end. There is a scenario of the two pretending to order room service for a breakfast order. Hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment