WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, October 29, 2012

Singlish anyone. lai dat? How about one for SLinglish?

I referred to my buying a Singlish book yesterday when I presented teaching writing in English.  Some of my former mentees were in attendance and they admitted to reading this blog. Not sure if they find it amusing, offensive, or just drivel.

Neh mine lah. Is ok lai dat.

Because I so many time catch no ball, this book is going to be a great help to me.  I have learned another phrase to replace the it finish, it finish one that I have heard so many times in the past.  I kinda like this replacement one.  no more arready.  Of course it means we do not have that size, that model, that item, or whatever you wanted - they do not have.  Never really sure if they every had it, will have it again, or simply don't know what you are talking about. But, for now, forget about finding whatever it is, there!

So, are you smart enough to decode some of those words?  I am slowly doing so, and having fun on the way.  And all your Westerners, please get off your high horses.  I have heard many of you speak such pathetic English here as teachers, that there is no room for pride.  Maybe I should write a sl-inglish book for that lot. (slang, slur, and sloppy English from native speakers)

Now time for breakfast before the day starts. I eat now, can, can.

No comments:

Post a Comment