WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Friday, August 2, 2013

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri = Happy Eid Feast

The wish is for my Muslim friends. The explanation is for my western friends.

Much like our own Christmas vacation, people here take three days off to celebrate the big event.  Schools are closed for two weeks, and families go home to be with families. You can be sure - I am in heaven - we have a holiday beginning today. 

After three years and three ramadans I still have not got a clear meaning. I have been told many things, and I have googled many definitions. My goggle search today is this:

During the month of Ramadan leading up to Hari Raya, it is mandatory for Muslims to fast. All Muslims except the young, old or infirm must fast. They do not eat or drink anything from dawn until dusk. Fasting is meant to teach the person patience, sacrifice and humility. Ramadan is a time to fast for the sake of their God, Allah, and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramadan, Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds.

Frankly, this looks like the most likely explanation. I have been told by many muslims that it is a time to think of the poor and hungry people of the world. That does seem rather odd because in my mind it would be a kinder gesture to do something about the hungry and poor of the world, instead of just feeling like one of them for a few hours a day.  

In any case, Hari Raya soon approaches.  They will be going all out with the foods and parties for about a week beginning next Wednesday. I guess they must be in training for this with the daily banquets I see going on after 5 pm. I am counting on the firecrackers fizzling out around that time too.


65 more to go to


No comments:

Post a Comment