WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Saturday, April 23, 2011

John Lennon - Imagine there's no Heaven (My Easter Sunday thoughts)

I have been listening to the song the past few days, as I only have a few tunes downloaded to my computer. It is a good one though, and I especially love the line Imagine no possessions - I wonder if you can.  Good line I think.  Maybe I have reached that point, finally.  I have a car, a cell phone, a home, but I dont own any of them. Well, a bit more than that, I do have a computer and a printer (which bugs me that I had to buy them even though they are tools required to do my work). Anyway, back to my rant.  Ryan has taught me a great deal about owning things.  He travels lightly and appears to be comfortable with that approach.  I too am travelling lightly, and all I am acquiring here for my household, I intend to give to people who do not have such things when I leave.  I cannot give them directly, because in this culture, it demonstrates that a man cannot support his family and that means disgrace. So I thought I would hold a lottery, and have teachers and families buy a ticket for the lottery and when proceeds collected, I would donate the money to the school to buy some resources because they have nothing. A big screen tv and a laptop to produce material would be so wonderful there.  Wow, I I seem to be jumping the gun here.  Maybe I will not last the entire contract and slide back to Canada early. Even so, everything can still proceed to a lottery and recipients would  have even newer appliances etc. If anyone has a better idea, please send me an e-mail or post a comment here to give me feedback.
So back to the song.  Imagine there is no heaven.  I wonder how this concept would go over here in Muslim territory.  Of the people I have met, I think there is a good chance they would open their minds to this idea. It is only a desire for peace worldwide. So, who would not want that?  Everyone I have met shares what they have with me with a very open heart.  If they would be able to see the world beyond their own borders it would just mean sharing at that level. Not too sure they would buy into no religion, like the song states.  Their religion is their life.  I have to admit that I am happy to not follow a religion.  I dont think that stifles my ability to be spiritual plus it allows me to accept others who think differently than I.  And the song continues, imagine there is no countries,it isnt hard to do  nothing to live or die for, Imagine all the people living life in peace , you may say I'm a dreamer.  Well I know that I am a dreamer but I hope that my dreaming catches on here and that I open eyes and teach by example.

I do not see homeless people here like I do in Canada.  But there is one man who regularly sleeps on hot concrete downtown, so he must be the token homeless fellow here.  Otherwise, I think those who have nothing live deep in the jungle and cannot get into the city, in fact probably dont even know that the city exists.  
My base school has students that live in a hostel there. The reason for this is that their home is a 2 hour walk to the school. Well, when you think about my schools being in the middle of nowhere, imagine where the families 2 hours walk away live. That is jungleville.  They have no money for a car, not much for food, and the children wear uniforms provided by the school. They travel home about once a month on a weekend, but other than that, they live at the school.  And that is the most urban thing they know and probably will ever know. 

So although there is no war or famine here, I hope that I can help to open eyes in this part of the world and support others to think as the song says: Imagine all the people sharing all the world... - I hope someday you join us and the world will live as one.
Post Options

1 comment: