WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Annie - thanks for the fodder for the blog


Reading an e-mail passed around joke is probably not why you are reading my blog. But the one that follows gave me a chuckle and then I realized it really is not a joke. A very similar circumstance occurred to me in Malaysia. Minus the police car – the only time you will see one of those is when they have a roadside check for someone they are seeking or driving at breakneck speeds down the trails with one of the men in uniform hanging out of a door with a rifle pointed at cars they pass. Sounds farfetched, but I have experienced it all.

So, here is the joke, and my own experience follows. Once you have read both, you can decide if the story/stories is/are something to laugh at, or whether I should be given a flight home and have my license revoked.



Here is the joke:

Sitting on the side of the highway waiting to catch speeding drivers, a Police Officer sees a car puttering along at 22 KPH. He says he to himself: "This driver is just as dangerous as a speeder!"

So he turns on his lights and pulls the driver over.



Approaching the car, he notices that there are five old ladies, 

two in the front seat and three in the back...wide eyed and white as ghosts.



The driver, obviously confused, says to him "Officer, I don't understand, I was doing exactly the speed limit! What seems to be the problem?"





"Ma'am," the officer replies, "you weren't speeding, but you should know that driving slower than the speed limit can also be a danger to other drivers."



"Slower than the speed limit? No sir, I was doing the speed limit exactly...Twenty-two kilometers an hour!"  ..the old woman says a bit proudly. 



The Police officer, trying to contain a chuckle explains to her that 22 is the highway number, not the speed limit.



A bit embarrassed, the woman grins and thanks the officer for pointing out her error.



"But before I let you go, Ma'am, I have to ask...Is everyone in this car OK?  These women seem awfully shaken, and they haven't made a peep this whole time," the officer asks.



"Oh, they'll be all right in a minute officer. We just got off Highway 189.."



At the beginning of my adventure here, I had to drive weekly, in the complete darkness of predawn - down to a God forsaken place that I had never been to before. So, my virgin trip, in the dark, made me keep wondering if I had missed the exit. Exit my foot! There are no exits here, just ends of trails and all of a sudden you are there. Anyway, I was very concerned when I came upon a round sign that read 90 inside the round border. As I whizzed past it (in order to keep up with the 120 km/h drivers - actually not at all keeping up, just trying to avoid them hitting my rear-end as hard as they could, I second guessed what I read. There are few road signs to guide your journey, and those that are posted tend to be willy nilly. You may see a sign as you leave a larger centre that advises the distance to some faraway destination. Then further down the road, you will see a sign again – maybe – telling you the distance to that destination, and it is posted as “next”. It is not next; there are about 6-7 other little places before. So, imagine what one thinks when driving in the dark, and not knowing where they are going, and dodging lorries, tractors, head on idiots passing whenever the spirit moves them, wild boars crossing, and any other obstacle you can imagine. OK, so back to the trip. I spy a sign that says 90, but I left Kota Tinggi on 92, and did not turn.  What happened to 92?  I cannot believe the speed is 90, no one is driving even close to that speed – except for the tractors and the odd broken down vehicle, but they are passed even by me! I finally find a place to pull over – a school area in fact. No one there, as it is too early for school to start. I do not have a map, because there are no maps available in Kota Tinggi and at that time I was not brave enough to venture elsewhere to find one.  I call Jeff. He has reached the destination just minutes before my call. He is great for NOT LISTENING. So, decides I have turned toward some resort. His instructions are for me to get back on the road, turn right (supposedly in his mind, back in direction of Kota Tinggi) and then find a place to turn right and follow the road. If I had followed his instructions, I would have been on the east coast of Malaysia, somewhere in a resort area. Nowhere near my destination. I ignored his message, turned off the phone and madam GPS and tried again – following the route I was on. In less than a minute, I saw the sign Rengit – my destination! What I saw on the highway was the speed limit. No words, just a number. Not at all like a highway sign back home. But here, they don’t use highway numbers; in fact, everyone uses the final destination of that road as the name. So, 92 is Rengit road. My highway to work is the Mersing road, although it is highway 3 on a map. But even the emergency people who answer calls do not know highway 3. Good grief. So, in defence of the little old ladies travelling at 22 on 22, I fully understand their confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment