WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Friday, September 2, 2011

PALM OIL PRODUCTION IN MALAYSIA

a closeup of the edge of a Palm Plantation - quick, because cobras are nearby
I developed a fancy schmancy slideshow of plantations in Malaysia, but this goofy blog does not allow slideshow uploads. One of those google 'things'. Only picasa can make a slideshow. So, for now, you will have to view a lower view of what I made. no bells and whistles here
The liquid gold of Malaysia - palm oil berries, harvested and ready to go to the refinery for processing
A typical truck that I do my best to avoid, pass, and generally stay away from on my way to work. This is where they leave the plantation to begin the journey to the processing plant - at about 40 km/hr on busy highways. arghhh
the size of picture does not do the view justice. This is an edge of a plantation near one of my schools.


If you too are a stubble jumper then you can see what I see. Think of the wheatfields you have looked at all your life, and then think of these palms as wheatfields. They go on forever. I don't think I will ever tire of looking at this sight.  And when the sun hits the fronds at noon, they are a magnificant magenta hue.

Main street in the Felda. These are the stalls where you can buy as much rice as you will ever want, the Malaysian version of junk food, and empty coke bottles filled with gas for your scooter.
This is not one of my schools. It is one I went to for a choral speaking contest. It truly is in the middle of nowhere. I thought that was where I worked, but this one is between my 'nowhere' and down to another cluster south of me. I take the road in the middle of nowhere, and then bravely taken another road off that, and then I somewhere ended up here. No cell coverage, and no serice stations except for one. I am still waiting for my Range Rover and Blackberry  that I put in a requesition ages ago- but neither has been delivered. But as you can see, there are many cars - so it is possible. Maybe not in monsoon season.


This is the processing plant I travel past each morning. I still forget to close my windows and hold my breath, so suffer the consequences. The stench of rotting organic matter and the smoke from the refinery are enough to kill a moose. For those of you in Alberta - Brooks cannot hold a candle to that one.
These are the trucks that take the refined palm oil to packaging plants and then deliver them to the retailers. This oil is not the lovely coconut oil I have bought. That one is delightful to use, but I have no idea of how it is processed. I have not seen factories around my part of the woods. Even here in Malaysia, where they grow and process coconut oil, it is costly. I paid RM35 for a 250ml bottle. Imagine buying a bottle of coconut oil in Canada. You cant, because you would never be able to get the oil out of the bottle. You have to buy a jar of coconut oil in Canada because it is a saturated oil meaning it solifies at room temperature. When I bought my bottle, it was semi solid, but that is because I was in an air conditioned store. At home, it is completely liquid.
So, now you too know how palm oil is produced and where I work.  Palm oil plantations are either privately owned or Feldas. Feldas are government sponsored projects - like a co op, which Malaysians are qualified to purchase together from the governement over time. Once paid out, they are the sole owners of the Felda (as a commune).  Unfortunately, at least I think so, only Muslims are allowed to take advantage of that offer. Leaving Aboriginals, Chinese, and Tamils out of the opportunity.
My photography is not the best. If I had used the camera from Ry, it would have been spectacular, but it is not small, and I don't have a great deal of time between schools, so need to be quick. His camera will take a picture of a dew drop on a daisy petal from 5 feet away. The camera I used will not. Besides, when I am on a roadside and brave enough to stop to take a photo, I am watching for cars coming over a rise and ready to hit me, or worse yet, a cobra waiting in the grass to give me a nip.
My next photo essay will be one of the guys who use a weed eater to cut short the grasses and weeds that grow along the roadside. They are the brave souls here. The clip this down to keep the cobras in the jungle and plantation. They have to walk through the path they are likely hiding, so the garb they wear makes me sweat when I look at them. Tall rubber boots, long canvas pants, canvas or rubber aprons, long shirts, industrial gloves, and a towel or scarf around their neck and face. Now that I have described it, I guess you dont need to see the pictures.
Hope you enjoyed your lesson on palm plantations. If you want the slideshow I made, send me an e-mail and I will send it.

No comments:

Post a Comment