WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ubud

The hotel where I stayed was lovely. Right in the heart of Ubud, surrounded by the sights and sounds I went to experience.  I talked with Ryan, and he laughed heartily when he realized I spent a week in Bali and did not even have one day at the beach.  I did go directly to the beach when I landed there, but it was night.  My driver dropped me off at the beach where we were treated to a Balinese seafood barbecue and cultural dances while we dined.  That was as much beaching as I did. I didn't even bother to take pictures. I was agog with what was around me, dined on Balinese seafood, and just acted like a hayseed seeing this part of the world for the first time.  I am sure some thought we were a couple - as we sat side by side taking in the crashing breakers from the sea, while others thought we were mother and daughter.  Yes, I can see the reason for that - an old while bird with a young Mexican senorita. After that experience, we got back into the car and were driven  up the island and inland to deposit us at the hotel where I was registered.  Unlike home, or what I am familiar with, we were guided down a dark path, that was interspersed with a few uneven stairs carved in rock and stone, to our rooms.  I was wondering whether I would ever leave the room once I got there.  You know what it is like walking around your house in the dark wondering where the next step is taking you, and taking giant steps thinking there is a stair? That was the path.  But once there, this is what I saw, which was directly across from the pool. But in the dark!

After staying up way too late, my patio was the location of fresh fruit and juice and a call to decline the cultural tour slated for the day. Unlike Koh Samui, one rasher of bacon was offered each day.  Somehow, Emma got 2, but always only one was on my plate at these Bali breakfasts. 
The path to my abode - in daylight was much more inviting than a dark unfamiliar route.  After telling Ry, he suggested that a headlamp when travelling in SE Asia is a must. I even have one, here at home.  Now I know that is equipment for further travels. 
I moved to a different room after the first night and experiencing more mosquitos in my room than outdoors. Seems the heavy teak sliding doors that enter the room from the patio in the first room were not really aligned, and a gap of about 3 inches left me open to the outdoors.
The patio of my new residence shows you the incredible parasitic flowers that grow off bamboo-like greenery. Everywhere little glass dishes of jasmine and other flowers dot the room and intoxicating your senses with perfumes that delight and relax you.

While sitting on the patio, one can open the doors to the rest of the world around you, and watch birds flit, dragonflies speed about, and just let the world go by. The room itself is huge, at least twice the size of a normal hotel room, and a bathroom that is bigger than the sleeping quarters,  It is almost difficult to just leave the room and take in the rest of the experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment