WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Thaipusam or Thespian?



Before you chortle over my blunder of the upcoming holiday, tell me - are the two words not very similar in a quick glance?  Well sort of, right?  In a country where there is a holiday for occasions that you would never consider a good reason, I was not shocked to see what I thought was a Thespian holiday. I assumed there was some special acknowledgement of actors on that day.  I am waiting for the holiday that is given to contemplate days to be honoured on a holiday.

So, what is Thaipusam Day?  A journey of faith. It is actually held on Sunday - today - but like we do back home, when a holiday falls on a day that is already considered a day off, the make up day is the following day.  Thaipusam is observed on the full moon day of the Tamil month Thai to make offerings to Lord Muruga. We cannot mess with mother nature, so when the full moon occurs, that day is the day.

If you think modern day body piercing practices are extreme, then wait until you witness the kavadi bearers!  A kavadi is a framework that carries brass or clay pots of milk, and can weigh as much as 100 kilograms. These kavadis have metal hooks, and these hooks, much like a giant fish hook, are embedded into the flesh of the kevadi bearers, while they make this arduous journey pulling the kavadis to the Temple. 

Fortunately, the Hindus look upon this event as a celebration of spiritual attainment, a celebration of life, and a celebration of good over evil.

I won’t show you any pictures of what this looks like. I am sure you can imagine the scene well enough. I have learned that the kevadi bearers take a month of training before this journey of faith.  Their strict vegetarian diet and month of abstinense prepares their body for this journey and allows the task to be completely pain free. Why, because the mind is free from material wants, and the body is free from physical pleasures. I wonder how many Westerners could discipline themselves to that degree?


Thaipusam Day – no thespians there.  But there will be millions of people witnessing this process in K.L., as there are every year. I know that Little India, in Singapore will be spectacular, but I do not have the energy to make the journey there. I am not sure if it is the same in every location, but in Singapore, people of other races take part in this ceremony as well, and fulfill their vows along side the Indians.  I think I will see what is going on in K.T. among my Indian neighbours. Or, at most, J.B.



No comments:

Post a Comment