WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Internet, Mail, and Everything Related

I cannot believe what a princess I am.  Having fought tooth and nail to get wireless into my hovel I am now complaining about this.  Why? Because for some unknown reason, this service cannot work even barely efficiently.  I am justified in this whining.  I pay RM110 a month for the service and I get as much internet as one would expect if they were in a valley in the mountain ranges in northern Canada using their basic cell phone as a modem.  I think I have painted a picture that helps you understand my dilemma.  I unplug, I replug, I do it again a million times, and still no connection.  I am writing as fast as my little bent fingers can type right now. I have a small window of connection using the pathetic dongle that was issued me when I set foot over here a few years ago.  I have to copy this text constantly because the connection disappears every few minutes and I have to start over each time it does.  But what the heck! I do have a connection, of sorts.  My home wireless?  It is sitting in the corner just winking at me at intervals. Much like a smarty pants who knows they have won the contest.

To compound this connectivity issue, I have a friend who has written to me and discovered that I never received the mail. It also had disappeared from her own e-mail account. Where do these messages go? I have experienced the same with others and with some I have attempted to send as well.  When I actually succeeded in getting into my e-mail account I found an e-mail reply from another friend that looked very familiar.  I browsed through my recent inbox stash and found the exact same e-mail from her that she sent 6 days ago. What is happening to us with this instant connection and cyber communications?  This second reply is not a forward. It is as if the other never happened.

I better post this before I have a complete meltdown over reconnecting.  Today? Off to a school to discuss the listening exercise we did yesterday. How did that turn out? Far less than I could have imagined. Listening to what I have taught and modelled for the past two years, the people were to answer some questions afterwards. Twelve questions asked in the order of the listening exercise, about what they professed they understood.  Two to three right answers was the norm. Most left blank, and not even attempted.  I have a lot of work cut out for me.  But before all that happens I also have to go downtown JB to file my taxes. Can you imagine what I will be facing? It makes me shiver.  The building where this office is located is aptly names. The Hasil building.  I pronounce it Hassle.  Quite rightly.




No comments:

Post a Comment