WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Blackberry Failing?

No, I don't want to hear that.  The world is making a big mistake, I think.  I recall many years ago when I had my first blackberry in my sweaty fists, I balked and resisted the little back marvel, but quickly became very adept at using its incredible features.  My daughter got her first blackberry after me. Wow, that is something in this world of technology and which generation dictates the popularity of new toys.  After several pokes at me calling it a crackberry, she soon joined my sorority and was tapping out bbms to me in no time at all though her company berry.  Not to be left behind, her husband joined the ranks, feigning broken or unsuitable flip phones.  Everyone in her circle of friends had crackberries  and the bbms were flying through the airwaves at incredible speed.  We could stay in touch even though I was living on the island and she on the mainland, all with a quick note sent through this sorority of users.  No longer is this quick messaging available when we need it the most. Somehow, someone, has been able to disable this easy little feature that would mean the most to both of us now that I am across the globe and so very far away.  All for the sake of the almighty buck!

The greed of corporate business appears to be the demise of blackberry as it seems to be falling into the abyss of redundancy. This seems to be the demise of all that begins big and falls away without fanfare.  I liken this to the cell phone service providers in Canada.  I do not think there is a country in the world that yanks money from its customers quite like they do in Canada. I have never seen the cost of long distance charged to customers elsewhere like it is charged in Canada.  A cell phone does not work like a landline where long distance charges can be applied. But yay Canada, they have found a way to charge you a fee for a call from one area to another as close by as 20 km.  You can make a call considered a local call from the east coast of USA to the west coast of USA, but in Canada you cannot make a local call from Calgary to Banff - a matter of 30 minutes driving time.  Shame on you greedy bastards.  Even here in Malaysia, where technology is lagging behind the world in every way, I can call all parts of the country, including the island area of Malaysia next to Brunei, as a local call.  Something the RIM company has forgotten is who they are marketing to.  I am an oldie, who will stay there indefinitely. But there are many younger people who love bling. Their insatiable need to have everything bling in their lives dictates that something blingy has to be offered. A touch screen face was added to crackberry - they listened. I was able to keep the wonderful querty keyboard, but the touchscreen face that made the user feel in the loop kept buyers coming back. But they seemed to stop there. Was it because they had the corporate world already?  Big mistake. Many of those bling addicts were entering the corporate world and they demanded this toys to fit their needs.  Just like politicians who lose touch with their voters, realtors who do not pay attention to location, location, location, RIM lost touch with their buyers because they had such a long time in the marketplace as the one and only and most successful business communication system in the world.

To focus back on the blackberry saga, I think, because it too is a Canadian company, they have taken the same stance as the marvellous Canadian cell phone providers and want to suck every cent they can out of the customer and forget that they are only in business because there are customers.  To bad.  They had a product that lead the industry. They had/have a product that I love to use. They had/have a product that led the others in security and product performance.  What happened?  I think they found themselves on a pedestal, and forgot that they need to work in order to stay there.  I will not join the android copycats - they tend to be just that. Copcats.  And poor ones at that.  But my resistance to iPhone may not be forever. I will continue with crackberry, simply because I tend to keep a phone for so many years it could be deemed an antique or  something named in my will. But I also admit that when that time comes that the little gem quits, I too will go to the iPhone, if they are still in business. My forecast is that by the time I need a new device, someone will have invented a way to implant some chip into my skull, leaving me with no need to find my phone when it rings.  Simply recharge my skull in a charging dock beside my bed when I turn off the lights. In fact, maybe, like the clapper of years ago, I can clap my hands three times, click my heels twice and fall asleep while my phone charges in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment