WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, July 23, 2012

Thank You, Please and Greek Martoonis

For those who have spent any time in S E Asia, they will know this phrase.  Thank you, please is what you will hear from people in Thailand and Bali on a regular basis.  They always want to please and use manners far more than Westerners could ever imagine.  Even those with very limited English will say this to you if you buy something from them or do anything they feel the need to thank you.  I was not disappointed on Saturday when I went for my 2 hour massage in JB.  The therapist needed to ask me to turn over. I knew it was time, there is a pattern, but before I could begin the journey from my front to my back, she tried to say something in English that did not quite work, so I just did on cue what I knew she wanted. Relieved, she sighed and whispered her 'thank you please Fras (the best she can say my name).  Another amusing response I discovered on my Bali vacation was when I greeted the concierge in the morning as I went for breakfast. I would nod with a smile and say 'good morning' and his reply every time was 'I am fine'. I still like the 'thank you please' the best.

On the same day as the massage I stopped in at Tesco. There before my wondering eyes did appear a bottle of Absolut vodka on special. I can't really say that vodka is something I would head for back home. But one cannot be choosey in the land of 'none'. One never buys the hootch we are familiar with over here. It is taxed to the hilt so if we buy anything, we buy local stuff. It is an excellent way of never becoming a dependant on liquor.  The stuff is like Russian roulette.  You never know if you will become blind, seriously ill, or even dead.  White Lightning is safer to drink than this stuff I think. Anything I buy gives me a serious headache - instantly.  But a good friend put me onto a remedy.  She got me one of those Brita water filters and a filter. I have set up my own distillery in the kitchen and pour the stuff through the filter a couple of times and then decant it back into the bottle. It kinda works.  However, on this day I thought I deserved a treat, so I parted with my ringgits and bought the pricy (even after the discount) Absolut treat and headed home.  Tonight I felt I would like to be sophisticated and opted for a martini.  No vermouth did not stop me. A short swatty glass with the cool liquid (refrigerated) and voila - a martini.  Hmm, no olives. But wait, there are some kalamatas in a jar left over from a Greek salad I made a few weeks ago.  So a twist of the top and a spoon to dip a few out and I have invented a new cocktail - A Greek Martooni.  And it was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment