WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, February 21, 2011

observations and workshops

Well I had a few observations scheduled, but like everything out here, things seem to happen manana .  I really tried to get in and out of a school quickly just to get the schedules but ended up having lunch with them before we could do business.  Something I have to accept in this culture. Not a bad thing either.  I goofed on locking my gates this morning,. I had the big lock snapped in, but only though one side of the gate. But nothing happened, and all is well in the homestead.  Not a lot to take anyway, unless they want some oversized clothing that a Malay would be able to share with three of her sisters.
The observations, or shall I say sit ins, were interesting. I can see the value of our Canadian system of student centred learning.  The children here were very engaged but had no idea what they were reciting. All rote and no understanding makes English a memorization game and not a tool for the global world.They are hilarious when they do the repetitive sentences. They look at me and with broad grins, they scream out the words.  I am not sure if I had a headache due to the cold I am getting or the loud noises in the classroom. And the very best thing is that each of the teachers I met with today asked me to correct them when I saw errors and want to learn how we teach. I did no corrections today, they were excellent at what they do and what they have been trained to do, and will learn other skills in the workshops.What impressed me this morning was a class of year one students who began the class with a prayer. The teacher lead it all in English and it was beautiful. Simple phrases of asking Allah to help them to see, hear, speak and know the word, actions, and thoughts that make them peaceful in the world.  Nice to see that some countries do not ban prayers in schools.   The darling little children take my hand when I leave, and then press it to their foreheads. I asked what this meant, and learned that they show their respect and reverence to me by doing this.  Wow, what an ego boost these little gaffers can give one!
I think I will go and soak my safari style vest that I wear every day (so that I have pockets). It has been used since I arrived in Malaysia, so perhaps a bit of a soak will reveal its true colours.

more later....................

No comments:

Post a Comment