WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, February 14, 2011

went to the school clusters today

Jeff and I actually found the Ministry of Education district office with the directions we were given. Ibrahim was late but arrived and took us to the main office where we met Fayid.  Jeff was fussing around telling me I had to wear socks because we take our shoes off every time we enter a building. I only wore shoes without socks. I thought I had some Christmas socks in the car but turns out I took them into the hotel. He kept making me hide behind my briefcase so that my feet were not showing. WELL, it turns out that barefeet are completely acceptable.  So no further hiding after the first school visit.  Fayid and Ibrahim drove us all around the three clusters, and we were met with open arms at each of them, In fact, the south coast cluster that Jeff and I will have to work between us PLUS our own were openly disappointed when they discovered I would not be their regular mentor.  So I hope the new mentor shows up soon.  While preparing for that journey, Ibrahim looked directly at me and said "how old are you?"  I decided I had to be honest (sort of) and said 60.  He flew backwards and said, he thought I was 40 or 45 -- his age!  What a lovely compliment. I think Jeff also fell backwards because he told me he had no idea I was that old, and didn't think I was either. Now, neither of them know that I am actually older than that.  A couple of the teachers also asked me how old I was, so I stayed with the 60 answer.I took a photo of the hotel from the outside when I returned. Just to show you what the landscape looks like around here. But keep in mind that everyone here is so warm, welcoming, and hospitable, that what you think  see is not what you get in the sense of the building. The safety here is great too, I left Ms. GPS in the car which a big no no because there are bandits that come around cars and have some device that detects any technological equipment in the vehicle, then break in and steal it. Nothing happened to Ms. GPS, she was still in the glove box this morning.  I had a huge lunch, courtesy of the Min of Ed, so I think that will be my final meal for today,  I can hardly wait to have my own place to stuff myself with watermelon, dragon fruit, and papayas once again.  Guess I better get that fridge ordered pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment