WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Curry Leaves and Pandan


If you have never tasted food flavoured with curry leaves then you have not tasted food.  I am addicted to the stuff.  My neighbour introduced me to this flavour and I cant get enough of it.  She doles it out carefully – telling me that eating curry daily in this heat is not good for the body.  Well, on a mission today, I went to Jusco – no curry leaves; then on to Tesco, and after squeezing and sniffing all the various leaves available in the produce section I found the delightful leaves I so wanted to have.   I bought two bunches – one for me and one for Yeet.  Now, in hindsight, I probably should not have got one for her. She will know that I have begun making things with it and will scold me for consuming too much. 

I did not stop there, I asked anyone who would listen to me – where might I buy a curry tree plant for my garden? The consistent answer was you cannot buy them; you must get a piece of one from a neighbour or friend.  Now if you want to know how hospitable the people are in this country are, read on.  Every one of them invited me to follow them home to take a part of the root of their curry tree.  As much as I wanted one, I just was not in the mood to follow some car through a maze of little alleys and streets and then find my way out again.  I was convinced that I could find my own. 

I drove homeward through a blinding monsoon, stopped for petrol, and decided I was wet anyway, so carried on to the plant nursery that I frequent.  I pulled out my little packet of curry leaves so I would not have to play charades asking for something I was sure they did not call by the same name as I was using.  Yes, yes, can, can.  Mom, sending the sweet little girl who always helps me presented me with a curry leave tree ( a wee one) and also insisted I stand under her umbrella while we waited.  Two bags of soil, AND a pandan plant too, and a pot for the pandan, I headed homeward to plant the new babies.  Not sure what I will do with the pandan. But I was on a roll.

Yes, the curry is brewing. I managed to snag 2 lamb shanks at Jusco. I first brewed the shanks in some water laced with the bundle of curry leaves. Then when the meat fell off the bones, I diced it up and began cooking all the veggies. The pungent aroma in my house is enough to make me drool.  I also sawed up a few sticks of lemongrass and tossed them in the pot.  Adding Thai basil, Thai curry paste, asparagus, shredded carrots, and slices of leeks I think I have made a feast fit for a queen.  Too lazy to wait to cook rice, I just tossed some into the pot at the end of the cooking. It is going to be together anyway, right?

Bon Apetit Queen Frannie

next on the block - Pandan Chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment