WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, March 21, 2011

Cant seem to add any pictures to this

My internet is nasty these days, so anything that requires more than a blip of internet is not going to happen.  I will try to download some when I have the energy to go to the WiFi restaurant Rosemerah.  For now, all you have is my words.
We finally got our third mentor, which means no middle of the night drives to Pangerang. YAY.  I still have to go down there on Thursdays but I can go to my own schools in the morning, which is a much more civlized drive than that crazy haul down south before dawn.
I delivered a training session on pronunciation today with the teachers. They really enjoyed participating, especially when I demonstrated with Jeff and myself and the way we destroy words in Malay.  Jeff is impossible and even I cannot understand what the heck he is trying to say. With that in their back pockets, they were very willing to learn how they say words that are completely different and yet when spoken by them; identical. I tested several teachers with the words taxes, Texas, and taxis.  All came out exactly the same when they said them. Then, moved onto short and long vowels, which was something most of them had never considered in the past. They were delighted to be able to say the words correctly and actually know when someone said them wrong.
What I have discovered is they use our English vowels but apply Malay sound rules to the words. I figured that out when I tried so hard to pronounce the name of my base school, which is Gembut.  I figured out that Milay only has one sound for 'g', so that was solved. But I kept saying Gem but. and the others kept correcting me after a bit of giggling. Finally I realized that the letter 'u' in Milay only has one sound and that sound is neither 'uh' or 'ooh' as we use in English. The only way to pronounce 'u' in Malay is with a sound like 'oa' as in 'oat'. So the sound of the school is Gem boat. Tada. 
Your Milay lesson for today.
And that is the kind of day it has been

No comments:

Post a Comment