WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Retirement Party punts my interviews

Internet is sadly compromised here today. I worked at a school today called SK Seri Aman. The name translates to Beautiful and Peaceful and that is exactly what the place exudes.  The grounds are lovely. They are perched in the hills surrounded by oil palm plantations.  My intention was to have meetings with the teachers I work with in order to plan what I will do with them in the next couple of weeks. That did not happen, well at least not completely. There was some event which took precedent over the meetings. The head mistress was celebrating her retirement today so that event replaced any meetings I was trying to have. I did manage to have two, and then was led to the ceremony which is nothing like a retirement in Canada. I hope to get some of the photographs from one of the people taking pictures throughout and post them here. It attracted all levels of government officials from the Ministry of Education as well as other head masters and head mistresses from the area. Each of those from Kota Tinggi  took my phone number and invited me to visit them at their schools. Also said they would be happy to show me around town too.  Looks like I have some new friends. I was fortunate to sit beside one from Kota Tinggi who helped me to understand the entire event. All was in Malay, so I needed a lot of help.  After the dancing by the children, prayers, speeches and video of her life we were then taken to another area of the grounds to a roofed dining hall. One of my teachers was watching out for me and slipped me a spoon and a fork.  Others were far more interested in watching me try with my hands. I did not entertain them with that today. And to top it all of, we were each presented with a giftbag containing some kind of cakes and a small china plate with a plate holder to display it. A china plate in this part of the world is a generous gift. China is not something most people use. Plastic is the product for the masses. 
So, I did manage to get in some work before the celebrations, but will have to repair that loss next week. Tomorrow I will be hoping to meet with teachers at Bukit Mahkota, and I know no one is retiring there. Then the big journey down south to do another workshop with the teachers and practicing their pronunciation.  I am going to take that back road for part of the trip to avoid the traffic. I have also filled the gas tank to the top, so no worries about being stranded.  Who knows, I might even find another back road to take me all the way south. I do know there is a coastal road, but I think I will try it when I am not working. A Saturday adventure sounds like a good idea.
Now, lets hope that this internet will post the blog.  Otherwise, it will be back to the restaurant tomorrow.  Still cannot post pictures, so you will have to imagine what I saw today.  Beautiful flowers, shrubs, visas, and hills.  And of course, the beautiful people who surround me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment