WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Happy Deepavali

The greeting was explained to me yesterday - in Tamil, it apparently is Deepavali Varticle (who knows how it is really spelled). But I learned it, and used the phrase and was greeted with broad grins, which I took as pleasure in my words; but could have easily been amusement with my mispronunciation too. I also was passed by on the street with couples and friends bursting into laughter - I had purchased this lovely garland of gardenias strung tightly and whafting the most incredible perfume around me. I asked if it was appropriate for me to wear this, when I bought it, and was answered with the can can can. So I did. I know it's normally purchased to hang around the neck of a goddess in the temple, but assured that my SD5 was allowing me to wear it myself. Then, with the amusement of all who saw me, I am thinking that perhaps I was the amusement of the crowds and will likely be talked about by many. Dont care - I still have this garland at home and it is still perfuming my home.
On the walk to Little India, we stopped in at a small bistro. My friend had promised we could have one meal of my choice and the other of her's. The bistro fit the bill for me. The food was incredible. I had lamb shanks and a medley of vegetables fit for the gods. So this goddess devoured the entire plate. Not sure if they even had to wash it after I was done. Take a look.
Justs looking at this makes me WANT MORE

After moving through all the shops, stalls, and various temples and displays, we seated ourselves at a vegetarian restauant that my friend chose. The sun setting, the crowds getting thicker, found us taking in the evening displays before we began our trek back to Malaysia. A quick photo before dark, I tried to capture the exquiste copper columns at the entrance to the Temple.


A continuous banner of lights burst into the sky above the main street, enchanting the daytime banners that were beautiful on their own, but became stunning and dramatic archways to travel through the festival.


This next picture is a diorama that is a permanent fixture in Little India. I had to capture it, I have been teaching diorama making to the mentees for the past several months. I should have just taken them all on a field trip to Singapore. Much more fun that a classroom with powerpoints and explanations. It was delightful - I wish I knew the story it told. There was the goddness, a crocodile, a flock of ducks and some other birds settled high on the rocky crops as well as the other birds at the front of the display.

Yikes, when I look at these photos I cannot help but want more Lamb Shanks. They were so good - almost the same as my own Osso Bucco.  Why on earth can Malaysian restaurants not figure out this kind of fare?

And last but not least - on my shopping adventure through the day I found a long fringed rainbow top, that is exactly the same as the sarong Ryan bought for me in Thailand. I had to buy it, Now, a complete hippie, I can embarrass both my children or anyone who is with me. I intend to wear this new OUTFIT often. In fact, I am wearing it now.
Also found a place that sells electric toothbrushes. I am so excited  - although it is still charging. I should be able to have sparkling white teeth again. Hopefully can scrape off the tea stains I have acquired over the past several months.
Levi is the lucky dude - Nana found some fun little gimmicks for him. He is gonna have to wait until November 23rd.
Now time to dine. Left over Thai chicken curry with left over rice. Just enough for one, so guess that would be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment