WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Overdue for a Rant

I dont know how many times I have told my kids to not live their lives on debit cards. I have always said that they are too easy to use, and too difficult to keep track of what has gone in and gone out of the account. Plus, if there is a technical problem, you are hooped.

So, today, with humble pie, I was hooped. This part of the world is very much a cash based society. But they also use debit cards, and seldom credit cards. So, crawling into Giant (a food store chain) I made my way up and down the aisles to begin the food shopping for Sunday lunch for who knows how many. Changed the menu too. Decided that they would be interested in a Canadian menu, so will be preparing various foods from various cultures. Just like Canada is. Anyway, with the buggy loaded, I headed to the checkout. Items were scanned and accounted for, debit card given, and DECLINED 4 TIMES. I was so annoyed, I asked the fellow to hold the buggy. Flying back to Kota Tinggi, I demanded to see the bank manager. I have been in that bloody bank 5 times in the past week or so, because the card does not work - at Maybank ATMs and elsewhere. Each time they say 'the card is fine' and send me on my way. This time 'the card is fine' was not gonna work for me. Manager not in, the second in command met with me. He gave me the same song and dance, and then did admit that the technology in Malaysia is deficient, and shops as well as banks give this error message often. Now I know why everyone uses cash. So, after letting him understand that I have much more to do than drop into the bank for chats, I was back on the highway, burning up petrol to return to the recent purchases. I could not bear shopping again. This time, now after 4 pm, I hit the usual daily downpour. Wipers could not clear the window, but on I forged - to my packages waiting my return. It was so bad that huge lorries pulled over to the side to wait out the rain.  Let the smiling little clerk know that this time it was likely their card machine that was the culprit, and used the card once more, just to prove my point. Card accepted, my money taken and back on the road to Kota Tinggi.

So, I guess I have preached the lecture to my kids for my own information. Too bad I did not heed it. I know both the kids are just fine with their finances and banks. Mama bear, on the other hand has had her feathers ruffled enough that I hope I take my own advice. Now - forget any food preps for the lunch. I think a cool beverage and feet on a hassock are what I need right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment