WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I made a sandwich today

Before you read about the significance of making a sandwich here, you have to read through my drivel about driving to work today. Good thing that mentor who was replacing me is gone. She would jump across the room when she heard a crack of thunder, and although she said she could drive in any conditions, she was a wreck when it rained here. She said Oh My God, these monsoons are dangerous - we are not expected to go out in that weather are we?  My reply was 'sorry this is not a monsoon, this is a rain. Monsoons do not start until December.'  So having said that less than a week ago, this morning I got into my little tin buggy and headed to work - with a SWEATER ON. It was raining, and only window clearing wtih this lousy car is ful blast air conditioning. Well, the rain was winning - but still not a monsoon. I had to also lower both sides of the car windows to help clear the fogging inside.  I all I could do was laugh when some clown came flying past me in a low spot on the highway. We were in fairly deep water - the kind you drive slowly through, to be sure you have brakes after the plunge. He did not seem to know that rule. It was like someone had taken an enormous rain barrel and threw it at my windshield. I could see nothing. But better still, the tosser had also thrown another rain barrel INTO MY CAR AND ALL OVER ME. My feet were actually submerged in water. All the papers on my passenger seat were soaked, and myself was like a drown rat. Oh well, it is only water, so I forged ahead. Now, nearing my school, I came to another low area, and foolishly had the window down again because the moisture inside the car was causing great condensation on the windows.Once again a skilled driver came flying past me, caring not about the depth of the water or the safety of anyone. AGAIN, A RAIN BARREL HIT ME IN THE FACE. I arrived at the school completely soaked. I had to admit what happened, and lucky for me the teachers and head mistress found it amusing.
So now for the sandwich, which pales in comparison to the previous accounting.  I trundled off to Jusco on my way home from the school.  Came upon some kind of bread that looks like one of those peasant loaves we buy in Canada. Bought it, went into the contraband area and snuck out with some kind of cold cuts that were wrapped in packaging so they could not be identified. Now all I need to find is some lovely dijon mustard and life will be fine. Until then, a packet of the nasty yellow stuff from fast food outlets will do. I did make the sandwich, and the bread was not bad, the cold cuts were ok, the mustard was still nasty. But what a treat to eat a sandwich. Reason for the trip to Jusco, other than getting the bread, was because I have not yet figured out how to get back north east onto the freeway from the school I was at.  I tried to let the GPS broad help me but she kept telling me to turn right, turn right, turn right, and if I had, I would have been driving into oncoming traffic. What a stupid mechanical woman in that machine!
I think I might even take a sandwich to work tomorrow for my lunch. How Canadian huh, or should I say eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment