WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, October 31, 2011

computers and whatnot

I got my HP back yesterday. The manager of the warranty office went over it completely before I picked it up, and assures me that it is now fully working. His receptionist kept her distance when I went it.  Once agreed that the computer could come home, he advised that she was afraid of me. I dont blame her for that - she gave so much conflicting information the other day that I spoke sternly to her, explaining I would appreciate truth; not a swack of messages she thought I would want to hear.  Yesterday I explained to her that I was yes, annoyed and somewhat angry with her previously, but if she followed this rule of only giving information that was accurate, we could be fine.  She indicated she understood and then went to a closet and brought me YET ANOTHER carry bag, delivered with a huge grin on her face. I must have one for every company in business in Malaysia now.  Seems to be the peace offering from miscommunicating Malaysian businesses. Plus, they get free advertising if I use the blasted things. Which I do; so they do.

So, why do these people tell you what they tell you? It is the Asian culture of collectivism and saving face. They will not tell you anything they think will offend you and they will not tell you something that appears they do not really know something. So, giving an answer that appears like they know the 'answer' is completely acceptable in this culture. Ahhh, Rita, my professor at RRU would be proud to know that I learned the intercultural aspect of communications so well. Too bad the rest of my cohort does not have the same opportunity.  They were completely insensitive to this issue and refused to believe this was the case.   Whole problem with this sort of communication is that there is frequent miscommunication and seriously skewed information given and received. So, now I have a bright orange carry bag to add to my cache.

Yesterday, driving home I think I figured out how to keep dry during a monsoon rain. Great pools of water collecting on the roads, air con full blast to keep the condensation at bay inside the car, and windows open to help the situation do not make a good mix.  The pools of water end up inside the car when some goofball flies by me. But I need the window open - the freezing temperature in the car is more than I can bear.  Hence, the passenger side of the car also has a window and no one sits there. I dont care that the seat on that side of the car is drenched. So, down goes the passenger window, which helps the air con from steaming inside the car, and pooled water on the road is so far not lifting up and drenching me any longer.  You might want to consider sitting in the back seat of my car if you are travelling with me during a monsoon - or wear goggles and a tank of air.

This week is final exams in my schools. Not a lot of mentee visits will be happening this week.  The teachers act like they are the ones taking the exams. I think there must be some reflection on their teaching if the students do badly. That is the only reason I can deduce for their stress level. Yesterday I observed a teacher preparing the students for an exam on verb tenses. Unfortunately, her own skill level with this concept was less than accurate.  Using present tense for past tense scenarios and future tense for present tense was what she was teaching. EEEK, too late to begin that lesson - they will be tested today! Besides all this, the teachers and students are winding down for the year. think of what it is like in a Canadian school during May and June. Not a lot of new work introduced. October is our May and November is our June.  I am sure glad the travelling library got 'rockin' and rollin'.  I am the hero who comes to the schools and reads the new books to the students. The teachers have just as much fun as the kids listening to these stories. No stories today though. All serious and quiet as the young learners apply their knowledge to a sheet of paper. Guess I will skirt around all this and see who is available to visit me and talk about next year. Trying to prepare these mentees for next year is like trying to feed mashed peas to a baby when there is a dish of ice cream beside the peas.  Thoughts of vacation is their ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment