WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Still trying very hard to get some clear answers

I have still been corresponding with the university regarding how to write an exam (or few) and fit into their rules.  The problem lies in that they change their rules like God changes the weather. We are still not clear - from either side - what happens next.  They try to just state what needs to be done and expect me to agree.  However, each time they state this directive, it is something new.  I scratch my head and respond.  Maybe I will just keep taking the courses, and return to Canada, and then maybe, just maybe, they will decide that I am on the right continent, enrolled as the right student, and qualify to write my exams with a proctor, once and for all.  But I would not count on that.

What is the issue?  Well, I accept the fact that I am a foreign student and must pay inflated course fees because of that fact. Every country does that. However, they then take the position, after several flip flops in several directions as to how I am examined.  The most recent being, I must go to some centre here in Malaysia and write. Over a period of days. Somehow fitting this into my work schedule.  Impossible. All this being advised after telling me that the entire program in every way, is online.  Also after telling me that having a proctor oversee my writing was the route to take.  So, the frustration lies in the fact that they have now decided that I am a person living in Malaysia, so therefore, I must be treated as that. So, my latest ammunition against that one will be that if so, then I must also have all the rights and privileges that one has in that scenario. I expect to have opportunities for scholarships, bursaries, grants, free iPad, and tutoring on a regular basis. Those are just a few of the things I do not get, and did not expect to get. But if you want me to be acting like a local, then you best treat me like one in all respects.

Am I getting a cultural experience, as I had hoped? Yes. In spades.  Maybe not as I hoped, but definitely cultural. I think the problem lies in the fact that they have never had a foreign student enrolled in their halls of learning. Neither foreign on another continent, or foreigner living here.  What they cannot understand is the fact I am here on a work visa, which changes the rules dramatically. If they want me to follow the rules for a local student, then I must be given the privileges of a local student.  I pay taxes here at a higher rate than any of their students enrolled. That should give me the rights equal to those who are local, right?  Student visas are not the same as work visas. I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment