WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Monday, April 1, 2013

Why is Internet Such a Difficult Service Here?

It amazes me that a whole country cannot provide even somewhat reliable internet service to its citizens.  I am fearful that when I go home I will constantly disconnect the internet in my home because I will be trained to dash over to the modem and disconnect it on a regular basis.  It has now taken on a pretty red glowing light on the control panel indicating that there is most definitely no internet available to me.  Lucky for me I get to plug in the dongle which takes a powder every three minutes, but does connect somewhat.  My typing skills have added another component. I can now keystroke and without missing a beat, switch to the bottom of my screen and click on the dongle icon to reset it.  All this I pay the big bucks!

On another note, it is also interesting to watch the unfolding of a nationwide election.  They have taken a more civilized manner of showing your support than we do at home. Here, they hang flags. I could not figure out what the new crop of flags all meant yesterday and soon figured out they were party support. My little neighbourhood has a clear support for the incumbents. Why not? The Malays out number the other races, and they are well cared for.  Just like all voters worldwide, the memory is short.  With all the newly paved roads and a RM100 (cash) handout per child in school, the voters have been bought.  Where is the critical thinking when they stop and realize that the paved roads will only last a month at the most, and once the election has been finalized, the potholes will be back in full force for another 4 or 5 years. As for RM100, I would like to see a parent feed a child on RM100 for 4 -5 years.
Ah, as my father-in-law used to point at the painting hung over the fireplace and announce it was a scene of his clients, I understand. He was a very successful lawyer and politician. The painting? It was a pastoral view of sheep grazing placidly  because they were being fed and cared for.  Yes, the sheep will mark their X on the ballot, just like they do everywhere else in the world. And internet will continue as it does.

One difference in the flag hanging here.  There has not been an election called.  There has not even been a budget speech.  It was supposed to be read in March. It is now April.  Interesting in how things get done.

Now I better quit pushing my luck and just publish this before the power goes off too.

No comments:

Post a Comment