WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Thursday, May 16, 2013

waiting for computer repair......

While I wait, I am pondering what I will miss and what I will not miss when I leave.

Having written to any company I can find an address for, when I cannot find a product, I must admit, I did get another resolution to a problem I found very serious.  Coming back here from Canada I was prepared to await the new shipment of Schweppes tonic water which get depleted with the celebraters of Chinese New Year. But this year it was devastating. No Schweppes tonic water any longer. Some nasty bitter lemon  which could kill a mule.  I wrote to Schweppes. We again have tonic water. I now have g & t. - maybe not a good thing.

As for computer repairs, the bloody hp that I had to purchase when I arrived - even though the company had advised it would be provided, is still giving me grief.  It has spent more time in repairs than in my home. I have become first name basis with the manager of the repair centre. It is not his fault  I have a lemon. Tonight, he offered to do remote repair. I am not sure a computer company in NA would offer such a service. For that I am impressed. However, it stops short.  Nothing was resolved. After I installed the remote software, he began snooping around my computer, but deduced he could not do anything - internet connection is not strong enough. And so the story goes. Nothing much works here. I will be shocked when I return home to lightning speed connections and machines that work or are repaired in a flash.  But I am sure I will find things to grumble about just the same.

What I will really miss is one hour hair wash/scalp massage for a cost of about $4 CAD, TCM medicine therapies that work for about $8 CAD an hour, washing and pressing linen clothing for $3 CAD a piece (this is actually gouging for foreigners).  A group of other foreigners who I have met who are now my family.  Natives of Malaysia who are also my family.  Shopkeepers who are so appreciative of my purchases that they almost carry me out to my car. Teachers in schools who are not in my program seeking my help because they have heard about me - and they really actually want the service and apply what they learn from what I teach them. That last one is such a clear example of human nature. When something is given without expectations of any outcome (from the provider), the gift often is unappreciated. Not so when one wants it and has to work to get it.

What I will not miss is the drivers that appear to have a vacuum between their ears. I cannot think of any other reason why they drive as they do.  Those people are the morons who have to be FIRST at any cost and can frequently be seen in a driver's seat in a somewhat reclining position at the wheel with one foot on the dashboard - airing out the toe jam from the breeze coming through the open window. Idiots who never pull over to allow an ambulance right of way, and then try to run you over if you try to get back into the line of traffic when you do.  Idiots who do not know their colours yet - the ones who think a red light is a district they need to get out of quickly.  Idiots who will occasionally turn on their signal light (very likely in error) and leave it on the entire duration of their trip. They never use any kind of lights provided on their vehicle here - they might have to replace a bulb I guess. The rocket scientists who think I have ESP and know when they suddenly decide to change lanes while I am in that lane.  The frustration of every conversation that requires pictures, mimes, and whatnot to convey a message and then check to see if it was understood. And those conversations are with those considered to be higher level English speakers. I dont mind the charades with non English speakers, it is kind of fun, but with professionals - OMG it is frustrating.  Maybe the biggest thing I will NOT miss is seeing infants and toddlers standing in the passenger seat of the car their genius father is driving, as they hang out the window and wave at whatever they pass by.  I still do a double take - being a right side driver, these little gnomes look like they are the driver because that is the driver seat where I come from.  Yes it does look cute, amusing, entertaining. But I am sure many of those little people do not make it to their 2nd birthday, and many others are maimed because of the erratic driving and unexpected stops when their father crashes into another vehicle.  I heard on BBC news yesterday that statistics for Singapore are 1 person is killed in an auto collision every second day there. OMG again, Singapore actually follows traffic rules. Can you imagine the stats for Malaysia?  I think that is all for now. I am sure there are other things I will not miss, but maybe wont be aware of them until I am home again.

What I am looking forward to?  Appreciating being a Canadian again living on Canadian soil. I hope I dont become one who immediately goes back into grouse mode and complains about things there. I have lived the alternative.  I think I will be a it nervous driving in a country that has traffic rules, follows the rules to a degree, and expects me to do the same.
These decals are something that should be seen on the cars here. Everyone here loves decals. They plaster then all over the windows to the point that they cannot see out the window.  

AND LASTLY, FOR MY MENTEES - WHEN I TEACH
YOU GRAMMAR - TAKE NOTE.





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoid Capacitors Capacitors are miniature electronic components contained in many of the parts inside a PC. Capacitors can store electric charge for a short while after the power is turned off so it's a wise decision to wait a few minutes after pulling the plug before working on your PC. computer repair services

    ReplyDelete