WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Friday, June 14, 2013

More Intercultural Miscommunication

I sent a message to a teacher who works at a school where I am providing group training. This school is not in my program, so it is an extra offering.  There are many things to consider for this project - there are 560 students to teach in this session.  I have put together a fun day, and kept all the teachers informed of what will happen.  We will be having a meeting next week to go over how it will unfold.  To begin the day, I am reading a book with everyone with the help of a projector. The book is a focus on the letter b pronunciation.  I always read this book with the students blowing bubbles because the book is all about a bear, a bull and a baboon blowing bubbles. I managed to collect enough bottles of bubbles for the students but then decided I needed to find out how many teachers will be involved.

My message was:  When you have a minute, can you let me know how many teachers will be involved for the project, please? 


Here is the reply:
About 14 teachers will be around to assist the pupils.I  don't get what Is the minutes you meant , is it the committee members of this project or something else?  I have a record of the meeting which I held on this but I don't know whether it is appropriate .


We English speakers need to remember that the world does not revolve around us. Our short quick versions of a message are not always understood. The gift here was that the teacher, whom I have discovered to be a very good communicator, did not understand the message - and asked! Kudos to her.







No comments:

Post a Comment