WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Sunday, July 7, 2013

86 - Another friend

Yesterday I was a busy social butterfly. Before dawn, I dashed to Rosemerah to visit with two former mentees who have become good friends. They were on their way to their tutorial in JB for the B Ed program they are taking. We caught up nicely on all we had time to chat about, and then back home for me to clean the hovel, do a  bit of work on the next assignment for sociology, and then run out to buy a new floor mop after I snapped one of mine in half while cleaning the main floor. No, the floor was not so dirty that I had apply so much pressure that I snapped the mop in half. The bloody thing is made so poorly that it broke.  What bugged me the most was I had finally found a sponge mop a year or so ago and quickly bought it.  The first of its kind over here. Everyone else uses those things you see sailors swabbing the deck with. I could never master that one, and ended up with a pool of water everywhere, and fans running everywhere trying to dry up the slosh.  So, not caring that I was paying RM160 for a mop, I bought the treasure and brought it home. Sailor mops are RM5-10 - so you see I paid a premium price.  The frustration did not end there. I purchased a series of pails - none were broad enough to fit the bloody mop. I probably spent another RM100 on various sized pails and never did get one that allowed the mop to actually fit inside. Who the heck cares, the mop has now gone to mop heaven.  In the past year, a shop called Mr DIY (which I always call DUI) opened everywhere. What a score. Kind of like a dollar store with so much more.  I already have a sponge mop up in my bathroom, so headed there yesterday to get another for the main floor. Cost? RM12.  I could have one in every room if I wanted and still have money left over from what I spent the first time.  They still do not fit the pails, but unless I want to buy a pail that would double as a swimming pool, I wedge it in and it works good enough for me. I even bought some weird thing that has kind of squeegee one one side and spongey thing on the other. Why? The main floor toilet dribbles water from the flusher box after every flush. I have positioned a miracle cloth next to it to absorb the water that trickles out and have studied the pattern long enough that I know on the 4th day I have to wring out the cloth or else water begins to pool again. Why is this a problem? Mosquitos breed like flies over here and we dont want mosquitos.  So this new invention should resolve the water there. I can squeegee it toward the drain, and then sponge up any leftovers.  You cannot imagine the nightmare of getting a plumber over for this. He would never understand the concern, because one flush does not create a puddle. Even Waterman Wong!  Now I am thinking that these devices were made because this issue I have is a common one, and the repair solution was dreamt up by someone who had the same problem. If you read this whole discourse you must be as dull as myself. But I still have not told you about my new friend.

Rose helped me out at a book shop a few months ago. She is an older woman, Malay, and saw me trying to get something done and the clerk had no English. Rose stepped in and helped. I kissed her feet.  She asked if we could be friends. I had to keep putting her off - I was worked of my feet, and then yesterday finally thought I must try to visit with her.  All arranged for 4 pm. I suggested the meeting place. How strange is that? The newbie knowing a good place?  It was not difficult. She has very good English. She is a bit older than myself, and a retired teacher.  We had lots to talk about. She did not want the visit to end.  A lonely woman, who is widowed, and although a family here in K T, does not have a lot of contact from them. I told her that young families are busy, it is hard to fit in Nana.  She still was very sad, especially when I told her who I talked with this morning - my own grandchildren and daughter.  Far across the globe - I am a very lucky lady who has a daughter that makes sure her children know what Nana is like, what Nana does, and even where Nana lives.  As I parked my car at the meeting spot, some big shop that sells computers, televisions etc was blaring some music over loudspeakers, which blasted right into the patio of the cafe. What was the music? Jingle Bells, followed my Frosty the Snowman, and a variety of other Christmas tunes. Very funny - just days before the beginning of Ramadan.  I recall something similar last year. Maybe these people like to equalize the celebrations as they happen.  Anyway, off track again, Rose and I settled in for a long chat. She did not want this to end. I know she had a plan to dine together too. I wanted to get home. So I bought her some spring rolls and she happily ate them up along with a cold ice cream float.  I explained to her that being lonely is normal, especially when one has been a daughter, then immediately after that, a wife, and quickly followed by that - a mother.  She must learn to be alone and enjoy her own company. I remember that feeling myself many years ago.  I never took the time in my youth to be just me.  One has to figure it out eventually, and when one does, it is a good feeling. In the meantime, she has asked me to be her date for Hari Raya.  I seem to attract this here. She even suggested a Chinese restaurant we could go to, when she knew I was not a fan of Malay food. A H. M. from a school when I first arrived did the same that year. She was newly divorced and alone for Hari Raya.  I think I will put the two in touch with each other. After all, I wont be here next year to be with either of them. So for now, Rose has been added to my list of people I will miss.  She is a lovely lady, gentle, wise, and aware when someone needs help.






No comments:

Post a Comment