WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Sunday, July 14, 2013

xaio bai cai

I am noshing on the best xaio bai cai I have ever had. I had to go back to the original restaurant today. Good thing I never let them see me sneak into the other one.  As I was coming home from downtown and my indulgent hair wash, I noticed some festivities going on in a parklike area just after the bridge.  I have never seen a person there in the three years I have been here. But today, colourful banners, flags, costumes and whatnot paraded about the grounds enough so that I was almost tempted to turn in - just to see what was going on, I new it was a Chinese festival of sorts - I could see writing on the flags.  But the traffic was insane  in all directions because it was almost feeding time for the fasters and God knows, you do not want to be in that mixture when the bell rings.  So, kept on my way, and wondered if all the Chinese restaurants would be closed.  Yuppers, three of the four were still sealed off with their iron gates and padlocks.  Drat. But lucky me, the original spot was open and brimming with customers. Now I had to figure out if they knew any English. I went over to my friend and she said , can, can, you tell.  So over I went to tell.  They got some of the order right, but the packages of xaio bai cai that I took with me was a puzzlement to them. I generally take my own because no one seems to have any.  They thought I wanted it mixed in with everything else.  No, no, just a minute. Back to my friend who translated the order and things began to cook.  I got to people watch, which I love doing, A common theme is emerging from this Sunday night takeout experience. Families here, at least the Chinese families are just like back home. Sunday night dinner is for family. Everyone from newborn to Nana join together in the meal. It is nice to see.

BTW  I feel like kicking myself. For the past two months I have driven home from downtown and spied a sign written by hand on a piece of cardboard. Pisan Gorang  I kept thinking I should stop. I kept thinking, no not today - I will stop when I have time. Well, today, when I felt like I had time, the sign is gone. I should know by now - if I want something, take it when I see it. It will be sure to be gone the next time round.  And it was.  (deep fried bananas - I was introduced out in Sedili a few years ago, and have not had them since)  They are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment