WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST

WILD LIFE IN MY NEW RAINFOREST
VIA ONE RAINFOREST TO ANOTHER - thought these guys were more appropriate. I see their cousins every day

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

something has changed

Since I arrived here, I am constantly the centre of attention wherever I go.  On the weekend, I went to my favourite Chinese restaurant to pick up some takeout.  Everyone knows me there and know my choice will vary from gai lan to xiao bai cai.  Sunday the only option was gai lan.  This group used to cook in another location 2 stalls down where they currently do business. For some reason, they opted to move. The original spot was the first place I found when I was newly here and the lady who runs the place has been very kind to me.  I now feel like I have to sneak into the new location so as to not feel guilty about leaving her place that has new cooks. I like everything they prepare for me, and just do not have the energy to groom new people.  When I went to the new location on Sunday, no one even took notice of the whitie.  They all know me, patrons and employees alike.  A familiar smile, a quick greeting and then back to business of eating or working.  Wow, it only took me three years to be a local. No more staring at me. I might have even adopted the cultural position of collectivism and saving face.  One here never says anything that might offend another or themself, so wrong information is a constant issue.  Me - by sneaking into the other restaurant, I am doing just that - saving face.  Not having to face the people I am afraid I might offend by moving on.........Yikes - I am a local now!

It is a great family gathering place. You see grandparents, parents, children, and babies at every table.


In the foreground, you see my little steel carry pot. Four pots stack together in a rack. My version of saving the environment, plus a good place to store the leftovers in the fridge.  I swagger to the restaurant just like Fred Flinstone must have swaggered to the quarry with his lunch pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment